Dad ‘blacked out’ and woke up a month later in hospital after hill plunge

A 36-year-old dad woke up after nearly a month in hospital to learn he had broken almost every bone in his body.

Imran Choudhury plunged down a hillside while he was training for a walk to raise funds for the NHS.

He said he “blacked out” while walking in the Peak District in February and woke up one month later in a hospital bed.

It was another four weeks before he would be allowed home to his family.

Mr Choudhury posed for photographs when he reached The Trinnacle landmark while walking in the hills above Saddleworth Moor on February 23.

Moments later the passers-by who took his picture were comforting him as he lay unconscious after plunging down the hill side.

It took 18 mountain rescue crew-members more than two hours to pull his injured frame to a position where a Yorkshire air ambulance crew could pick him up and take him to Sheffield’s Northern General Hospital.

He said: “While I was climbing down I just blacked out. When I woke up it was a month later and I was in an intensive care unit. I had damaged everything in my body apart from my left arm.”

Mr Choudhury’s injuries included broken bones in both legs, his right shoulder blade, spine and skull.

Just over two months later he is back at home in Oldham with his family, after being released earlier than expected.

He has defied predictions to begin walking again already – currently with the help of a walking frame.

Until recently the dad-of-three ran the Pink Pearl curry house in Newton-le-Willows, and said he had become embedded in the community and supported local charities while running his business.

And as he lay in hospital he was inundated with support from the area.

He said: “They have been great. I was not expecting it to be honest but when I saw the messages and prayers and things that people were saying about me, that gave me strength.

“Mentally I am strong but the support helped me gain more strength mentally and emotionally and it gave me more determination to recover as quickly as possible. All of those messages have made me stronger in my determination.”

That Mr Choudhury is already home is remarkable given that, at one point, doctors were questioning whether he would survive.

He described his return home last week and his progress as a “miracle” – though he is still in pain and accepts he has a long way to go.

He added: “I was discharged after two months because I was doing so well and I think I am doing well because of my determination and the mental and emotional support from my family and the community. I think that has helped me get to where I am now.”

Mr Choudhury was training to take on Kilimanjaro to raise funds for the NHS when he suffered his fall. The trip was due to take place earlier this year before Covid restrictions led to it being postponed.

As well as the people of Newton-le-Willows and St Helens, he wished to thank the mountain rescue, air ambulance teams and hero strangers that helped him on the day.

He said he is also grateful to staff at the Northern General Hospital, which he now raising money for.